Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Why Are Atheists So Angry?

Philaletheists take note!

Jewcy.com hosts an online debate between Sam Harris and Dennis Prager on the question: "Why Are Atheists So Angry?"

I have my own thoughts on that particular question, and I find that Prager's contribution to the discussion constitutes little more than a minefield of logical fallacies, among which the strawman, the fallacious appeal to authority and the genetic fallacy play starring roles. Prager also makes the intriguing claim--one that I had not encountered (aside, of course, from a certain blogger whose site has just recently eaten itself) since when I used to play The Bard's Tale on my friend Jimmy's monochrome Tandy computer as an 11-year old--that the more university education one acquires, the less "wisdom" one has. Prager offers no evidence to support his claim, nor does he suggest how one might measure "wisdom" in the first place other than via the use of 12-sided dice. I suppose, though, as a conservative talk radio host, Prager's right all the time and doesn't need to provide evidence.

On the other hand, it would be interesting to hear what a theist makes of Harris' arguments.

UPDATE: On a separate note, Prager is up in arms because a newly elected Muslim US Congressman intends to swear his oath of office on the Muslim Quran rather than the Christian Bible.