Sunday, September 10, 2006

Tagged: Book meme

My first ever tagging comes via Sketchgirl . . .

A book that changed my life: The Lord of the Rings. I've read it cover to cover at least 11 times since I was 16, and worn through three copies. I even wrote my honours thesis on it.

A book I've read more than once: see above. Also: Feist's Riftwar Saga, Empire Trilogy and Serpentwar series (I kid you not, Sketchgirl), Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose, Ursula Le Guin's The Dispossessed.

A book I would take with me if I were stuck on a desert island: A Nietzsche Reader. Or The Complete Works of William Shakespeare.

A book that made me laugh: Stupid White Men.

A book that made me cry: I can't imagine a situation in which a book would make me cry.

A book I wish I could have written: Anything by Nietzsche.

A book I wish had never been written: This question is a little too close to "Which book would you burn?" for comfort.

A book I've been meaning to read: Where do I start? War and Peace, The Decameron, Swann's Way and Gargantua and Pantagruel have been sitting on my bookshelf waiting for me to either read or finish reading them for about ten years.

I'm currently reading: Thackeray's Barry Lyndon. Also working my way through Thinking in Education by Matthew Lippman.