Via Morons.org, more wingnuttery from across the Pacific:
When Justin Watt, a blogger from Santa Rosa, California, saw a photo of a billboard advertisement for so-called “reparative therapy” from “ex-gay” ministry Exodus International, he was offended and insulted. The billboard read, “Gay? Unhappy? www.exodus.to” Watt made a statement about his views on Exodus’s tactics by altering the image to read “Straight? Unhappy? www.gay.com,” and then posted it on his Web site. Liberty Counsel, an anti-gay legal group representing Exodus, sent Watt a letter threatening legal action if it wasn’t removed. The ACLU Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Project and the ACLU of Northern California responded, calling on the groups to drop their attempts to censor Watt and pointing to case law holding parodies to be Constitutionally-protected speech.
Most mainstream mental health and medical groups have denounced reparative therapy, stating that there is no evidence that reparative therapy is successful and that the practice may in fact be harmful to those who undergo it.
This puts me in mind of an amusing mock-questionnaire I first encountered about 10 years ago in a seminar on masculinities:
- What do you think caused your heterosexuality?
- When and how did you decide that you were a heterosexual?
- Is it possible that your heterosexuality is just a phase that you may grow out of?
- Is it possible your heterosexuality stems from a neurotic fear of others of the same sex?
- If you've never slept with a person of the same sex, is it possible that all you need is a good gay or lesbian lover?
- To whom have you disclosed your heterosexual tendencies? How did he or she react?
- Why do you heterosexuals feel compelled to seduce others into your life-style?
- Why do you insist on flaunting your heterosexuality? Why can't you just be what you are and keep quiet about it?
- Would you want your children to be heterosexual knowing the problems that they'd face?
- A disproportionate majority of child molesters are heterosexual. Do you consider it safe to expose your children to heterosexual teachers?
- With all the societal support marriage receives, the divorce rate is spiraling. Why are there so few stable relationships among heterosexuals?
- Why do heterosexuals place so much emphasis on sex?
- Considering the menace of overpopulation, how could the human race survive if everyone were heterosexual like you?
- Could you trust a heterosexual therapist to be objective? Don't you fear (s)he might be inclined to influence you in the direction of her/his own leanings?
- How can you become a whole person if you limit yourself to compulsive, exclusive heterosexuality, and fail to develop you natural, healthy homosexual potential?
- There seem to be very few happy heterosexuals. Techniques have been developed that might enable you to change if you really want to. Have you considered trying aversion therapy? (Source)